Bottle Label Applicator: The Ultimate FAQ Guide
This guide will help you choose a perfect bottle label applicator for you packaging industry.
It covers everything including features, parts, working principle, and specification; just to mention a few.
Take a look:
- What Is A Bottle Label Applicator?
- What Are The Ideal Features Of A Bottle Label Applicator?
- What Are The Applications Of A Bottle Label Applicator?
- Why Should You Buy A Bottle Label Applicator?
- What Are The Main Components Of Bottle Label Applicator?
- What Is The Working Principle Of A Bottle Label Applicator?
- Which Are The Various Types Of Bottle Label Applicators?
- Two-Side Bottle Label Applicators
- What Is The Difference Between A Manual And An Automatic Bottle Label Applicator?
- What Is A Handheld Bottle Label Applicator?
- How Much Does Bottle Label Applicator Cost?
- Can You Integrate A Bottle Label Applicator In A Production Line?
- What Is The Labelling Capacity Of A Bottle Label Applicator?
- Is It Possible To Apply Different Labels Using A Bottle Label Applicator?
- Can You Use A Bottle Label Applicator To Label Bottles With Various Shapes?
- Do I Need To Use Specific Labels For My Bottle Label Applicator?
- How Can You Troubleshoot Bottle Label Applicator?
- How Should You Maintain Bottle Label Applicator?
- Which Standards Should Bottle Label Applicators Comply With?
- What Are The Customization Options For A Bottle Label Applicator?
- How Do You Conduct Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) For Bottle Label Applicator?
What Is A Bottle Label Applicator?
Bottles are useful in packaging various products.
These products need elaborate labeling to not only distinguish the content they hold but also make them more appealing.
Traditionally, labels were manually applied to the bottles, one bottle at a time.
However, with technological advancements modern label applicators have made their way to the market.
bottle label applicator
Such applicators can apply labels to a number of bottles within a short span of time.
To sum all this up, a bottle label applicator is an equipment specifically designed to quicken accurate application of labels on bottles.
What Are The Ideal Features Of A Bottle Label Applicator?
There are various types and models of bottle label applicators in the market. Consequently, you need to be able to single out an applicator that best meets your needs.
Consider the below features as a checklist in narrowing down your options for a bottle label applicator:
- Application rate – Ideally, the application rate should be high speed. The faster the machine the lesser the time needed to apply the labels.
- Diversity in label application – A label applicator that can use various methods to apply labels on the bottles are more preferable than single-method applicators.
- Accuracy rate – The label applicator ought to have a high accuracy rate in the label application process.
Accurately placed labels makes the bottle more marketable and appealing to the human eye.
- Maintenance and operation – A key feature in bottle label applicators is that they should be easy to operate and maintain.
Nonetheless, the applicator should require minimal maintenance over long application intervals. Easy operation includes operator friendly controls.
- Energy saving features – The label applicator should be economical when it comes to energy consumption.
This in turn will cut on your cost of production as a manufacturer.
- PLC controls – PLC controls implies that the label applicator is automatic, hence faster and more accurate label application.
- Quality components – The components of the machine are so vital that you can’t afford to turn a blind eye on them.
Ensure that the applicator is constructed from quality components. Quality components will enable the machine perform efficiently over a long period of time.
- Advanced features – Features such as vision system that checks and alerts the operator in case a code is missing on the label improves the efficiency of label application.
Also, an alarm system that detects empty label rolls or machine dormancy will help aid in powering off the machine for energy saving purposes.
- Material compatibility – Ideally the label applicator should be compatible with the labelling material.
What Are The Applications Of A Bottle Label Applicator?
Bottle label applicators are used to label bottles of various shapes such as:
- Oval bottles
- Pump bottles
- Medicine bottles
- Wine bottles
- Rectangular bottles
- Water bottles
- Medicine bottles
Conclusively, the bottle label applicators have the capability of applying label applicators on different bottles and containers.
Why Should You Buy A Bottle Label Applicator?
Bottles are widely used by manufacturers to package most of their products.
These bottles need labels that contain important information such as the composition of the product, the expiry date, how to use the product, amongst other relevant details.
Thus, it’s not a question of whether labels should or should not be applied but rather how the label application should be done efficiently.
With this in mind let’s highlight some key reasons why you should have a bottle label applicator:
- Faster label application – Most modern label applicators are automatic are capable of attaining high labelling speeds within short period of time.
- Accurate labelling – Bottle label applicators can accurately apply labels compared to manual label application.
- Cost saving – Although the initial cost of a bottle labeler might be slightly high; on the long-run the applicator will cut on cost by reducing the labor requirement and saving on energy.
- Different label application methods – Depending on the label applicator you purchase, you can be able to label your bottles using various methods/styles.
- Easy operation – Bottle label applicators have user friendly controls and require minimal maintenance making them ideal for label application.
- Low bottle breakage rate: Most automatic bottle label applicators have a low bottle breakage rate of around 1/100000.
What Are The Main Components Of Bottle Label Applicator?
Bottle label applicators may have varying components depending on the design and the operating mechanism.
However, there are some parts that are common in all bottle label applicators. These include:
- Print Mechanism – This part receives from the computer the data which is then printed on the labels.
Simply put, this part prints all the necessary details on the label. However, this part is integral in most modern label applicators
- Label applicator – After the label is printed and ready for application, the applicator will apply the label on the bottle.
Depending on the type and the design of the machine – the applicator can carry out the application process in various methods.
- Label Roll /Spool– The label roll is the part that holds the label in place.
It controls the dispensing of the label during both printing and application.
- Drive wheel – Its main role is to pull the label out of the spool.
What Is The Working Principle Of A Bottle Label Applicator?
The working principle of bottle label applicators might slightly differ depending on the level of automation.
However, most label applicators will work in the below manner.
If the label applicator has a printing mechanism, the labels will first be printed according to the design created on the computer.
Next, the bottles will be fed into the bottle label applicator at a constant speed using a conveyor belt. Notably, the bottles will be mechanically separated from each other.
The conveyor belt will ferry the bottles into the label applicator segment, comprising of the spool and the drive wheel, where the labels are applied on the bottles.
The applicator can place the label on the bottle’s surface either through wiping the label or air blowing the label on to the surface.
Lastly, as the bottles are in the applicator you can either label a single side or multiple sides.
Which Are The Various Types Of Bottle Label Applicators?
Bottle label applicators are broadly classified into three: manual, semi-automatic and automatic labelers.
The broad classifications are as per the level of automation of the label applicators.
Importantly, most modern label applicators are either semi-automatic or automatic.
If we narrow down on the three major classifications, we get the various types of bottle label applicators.
Below are some common types of bottle label applicators.
Wrap-Around Bottle Label Applicators
This specific type of labelers applies the label around the bottle. In other words, the mode of labelling for such labelers is wrap-around labeling.
Wrap around bottle label applicator
The wrap-around bottle label applicators are further divided into two:
- Horizontal warp – It is preferred for unstable bottles or those with a round bottom design. The bottles pass lying on their sides
- Vertical wrap – It is ideal for bottles with a tapper design. Bottle pass vertically in this specific machine
Two-Side Bottle Label Applicators
The two-side bottle applicators apply labels on two sides of a bottle. Additionally, the two-side labelers also have the capability of conducting wrap labelling.
two side bottle label applicators
The applicator is ideal for a wide range of stable bottles.
What Is The Difference Between A Manual And An Automatic Bottle Label Applicator?
Manual label applicators do not require automation of any kind. Typically, bottle label applicators use manually operated cranks or motors to apply labels on bottles.
Automatic machines, on the other hand, heavily depends on automation for label application.
manual bottle label applicator
Below are the main differences between the manual and automatic bottle label applicators:
- Automatic applicators are computerized, meaning you can easily save presets for various bottle shapes or labels.
On the contrary saving presets in manual labelers is close to impossible.
- If your manual label applicator stops functioning, it is economical to buy a new applicator altogether.
However, automatic applicators have their spare parts readily available.
- In terms of cost, manual labelers have a cheaper initial cost than the automatic bottle label applicators.
Arguably, in the long run, the automatic labelers are considered more cost effective than the manual labelers.
- Also, the labelling accuracy for the manual labelers is entirely dependent on the operator’s accuracy.
Conversely, the labelling accuracy of the automatic labelers depends on the settings applied on the machine.
- Lastly, the manual bottle label applicators have a slow labelling speed compared to that of the automatic labelers.
automatic bottle label applicator
What Is A Handheld Bottle Label Applicator?
As the name implies, a handheld bottle label applicator is held by hand during label application. Thus, this applicator is manual.
Most modern handheld applicators are equipped with edge detectors, meaning the labels need no perforations.
hand held bottle label applicator
You simply slide the label applicator over the bottle surface you need to label. The applicator will then cut the label at its edge.
How Much Does Bottle Label Applicator Cost?
The cost of a bottle label applicator will vary depending on factors such as:
Automation – Manual applicators are less costly than the automatic applicators.
Size – Larger applicators are more expensive that the small size applicators.
Manufacturer – Price of applicators will vary across different manufacturers.
Sophistication – The degree of sophistication with regard to the features that the machine us. An applicator with a variety of features will fetch a higher price.
The estimated cost of bottle label applicators is anywhere between 85 USD to 1800 USD.
Can You Integrate A Bottle Label Applicator In A Production Line?
Yes, you can integrate a bottle label applicator in a production line.
This will go a long way in streamlining both the production and labelling process. Additionally, integration is considered cost effective.
Notably, there are specific bottle labeler applicators referred to as integrated automated applicators designed for integration into production lines.
What Is The Labelling Capacity Of A Bottle Label Applicator?
The labelling capacity of a bottle label applicator is measured in terms of labelling speed. The labelling speed varies depending on the:
- Automation level of the machine – For example the labelling speed of a manual bottle label applicator is entirely dependent on an individual’s speed.
- Labelling method employed by the machine
- Size of the equipment
- Sophistication of the equipment –The more sophisticated the equipment the higher it’s labelling capacity
Bottle label applicators have the capability of labeling up to 200 bottles per minute, which is fairly high. Other applicators can exceed this speed depending on the above listed factors.
Is It Possible To Apply Different Labels Using A Bottle Label Applicator?
Automatic bottle label applicators with print heads usually have the functionality of applying two different labels.
Below is how such applicators are capable of applying different labels simultaneously:
- First, the print engine receives two print jobs in an orderly manner.
- Once printed, the applicator applies the first label in one location.
- Lastly, the label applicator will then apply the second label in an alternate location
Can You Use A Bottle Label Applicator To Label Bottles With Various Shapes?
One thing that makes our bottle label applicators stand out in the market is the ability to label bottles of various shapes.
Shape is no longer a constraint for most bottle label applicators. However, most manual label applicators have shape restrictions.
Do I Need To Use Specific Labels For My Bottle Label Applicator?
Depending on the customization on your bottle label applicator, your use of labeling materials might be limited.
Some bottle label applicators use only specific label material.
However, most of our bottle label applicators are designed to allow you use various label materials for your labelling needs.
How Can You Troubleshoot Bottle Label Applicator?
The table below is a summary of the typical problems you might experience when operating a bottle label applicator.
|Problem||Possible Causes||Possible Solutions|
|Feeding error||Label sensor is not set up to see the gap between the labelsThe equipment settings
|Reset the sensitivity of the label sensorReadjust the applicators settings
Ensure the motor is moving the label material
|Label is missing||Label speed is too slowConveyor speed is too fast
The measuring object has poor sensitivity
|Check and readjust the label and the conveyor speed if necessary.Ensure the measuring object is working efficiently|
|Inaccurate label positioning||Measuring object is not correctly positionedHigh labeling delay||Readjust the position of the measuring objectConfirm and adjust the labelling delay|
|Continuous label feeding||Incorrect positioning of the labelling sensor.Failure of the label electric eye||Check and ensure the labelling sensor is correctly positioned.Replace or adjust the label electric eye|
|Wrinkles after labeling||Fast delivery speed coupled with slow conveyor speedInability to adjust the label length due to long reserve label||Readjust the delivery speed and the conveyor speedCheck on the length of the reserved label and adjust|
How Should You Maintain Bottle Label Applicator?
Bottle label applicators require minimal maintenance. For the countable times you will need to maintain your applicator, you should:
- Clean the cutter – To restore the cutter’s efficiency
- Cautiously clean the sensors – To enable the sensors to aptly detect labels and bottles
- Clean the outer part of the applicator – To remove any gum residues on the equipment
- Clean the print head – To make the print to look sharp and clear.
As listed above, maintenance of the bottle label applicator mainly involves cleaning.
Additionally you can replace dysfunctional or inefficient parts of the machine during maintenance.
Maintaining you bottle label applicator ensures that it efficiently serves you for a longer period.
Importantly, cleaning or maintenance of the applicator should be done when the label is disconnected to the power source.
Which Standards Should Bottle Label Applicators Comply With?
Manufacturers of bottle label applicators mainly comply with two certifications/ standards during the manufacture of the applicators:
- CE certification – This ensures that all the electrical components used in the equipment meet the EU standards.
- ISO 9001 standard – It ensures that all manufacturers produce best quality label applicators. This standard is mainly centered on consumer protection.
What Are The Customization Options For A Bottle Label Applicator?
Most manufacturers offer the customization for their bottle label applicators in a bid to meet their client’s requirements.
customized bottle label applicator
Mainly, the customization options available include:
- The printing option
- Mode of label application
- Bottle types to label
Different manufacturers will offer different customization options. It is advisable you contact your ideal manufacturer to chat a way forward on what customization they can offer.
How Do You Conduct Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) For Bottle Label Applicator?
The main reason of a Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) is to ascertain that the bottle label applicator is build according to the industrially accepted standards and designs.
An FAT will ensure that you purchase a quality and durable machine.
Most bottle label applicators will invite you to their facilities so that you can carry out an FAT.
Typically, an FAT involves real-time operation of the labeler with samples so as to gauge the machine’s efficiency.
However, if you are an end user of the bottle label applicator, an FAT test might attract a fee levied by the manufacturer.
On the other hand, distributors are rarely charged for FATs.
For all your bottle label applicators, contact SaintyCo now.