Effervescent Packaging: The Ultimate FAQ Guide
I know choosing a suitable effervescent packaging can be an overwhelming task.
A reason this guide explores all vital aspects you should know.
Take a look:
- What Is Effervescent Packaging?
- What Are Some Testing Guidelines For The Efficiency Of Effervescent Packaging?
- What Advantages Should I Expect To Enjoy With Effervescent Packaging?
- There Many Types Of Effervescent Packaging â€“ What Are Some Examples?
- In Which Fields Can You Use Effervescent Packaging?
- Effervescent Packaging Are Primarily Meant To Keep Out Moisture. Can They Keep Out Anything Else?
- Are There Guidelines To Follow When Choosing Effervescent Packaging?
- Which Features Should You Look For In Effervescent Packaging Machine?
- What Is The Working Principle Behind Effervescent Packaging?
- What Is The Functional Lifespan Of An Effervescent Packaging?
- Are Effervescent Packaging Customizable?
- Are You Liable To Experience Limitations With Effervescent Packaging?
- Why Do Effervescent Tablets Need Special Packaging?
- What Are The Features Of A Dessicant Cap?
- What Are The Advantages Of Spiral Dessicant Stoppers?
- What Are Some Examples Of The Materials You Use To Manufacture Effervescent Packaging?
- How Do Effervescent Packagings Differ From Regular Packagings?
- Which Aspects Should Guide You When Choosing Effervescent Packaging?
- Are Effervescent Packaging Recyclable?
- Do Effervescent Packaging Comply With Any Safety And Quality Standards? Which Ones?
- Can You Conduct An Inspection Of The Packaging Yourself?
What Is Effervescent Packaging?
Simply put, effervescent packaging is a type of container used to store effervescent tablets.
They are characterized by tight seal integrity and closure because their main purpose is to protect the effervescent tablet from liquids.
Effervescent packaging has a wide range of applications including pharmaceutical and nutraceutical industries.
There are also many types, i.e., tubes, sachets, stick packs or blisters, etc. Each type is more appropriate to a specific application.
What Are Some Testing Guidelines For The Efficiency Of Effervescent Packaging?
Performing tests is important because it leaves you assured that the seal integrity and closure of the effervescent packaging is high.
This means the quality of packaged tablets are also high. Test the package for the following:-
- Loose fitting top.
- Unbounded seal area.
As said above, effervescent packaging are required if the expected lifespan of their contents is to be above 2 years.
Hence, the best testing method would be to store under severe temperature and humidity conditions similar to those they are expected to encounter.
This procedure is long term because they have to be stored for similar durations. It is also not practical and as such has to be simulated.
We simulate storage conditions by:-
- Storing the effervescent packaging in test rooms regulated at constant elevated temperatures and humidity, g., 37 °C and 85% relative humidity.
We keep them in the test chambers for about three months. In order to pass the test, the packaging must show zero or little moisture pickup.
There are methods you could use to test the packaging that do not require as much time. Such methods are just as reliable because they assure product quality.
- Electronic air-tightness testing.
- Infrared seal testing.
- Using detectable gases.
- Using detectable tracer materials.
- Vacuum under water testing. This is also the most efficient and common method.
What Advantages Should I Expect To Enjoy With Effervescent Packaging?
- Effervescent packagings are light yet rigid containers that you can use in automated filling processes.
They also have dessicant stoppers that are relatively easy to insert during packaging.
- Effervescent packaging have exceptional moisture-vapour transmission rate control. Depending on your preferences, we can incorporate flip top, easy opening, half spiral, or tamper evident stoppers into the overall design.
Their exceptional MVTR control allows you to not only use them with effervescent tablets, but with lozenges and chewables as well.
- The effervescence packagings conform to GMP/ISO 15378 standards.
This means they have been subjected to thorough seal integrity tests and certified as highly effective and durable.
There Many Types Of Effervescent Packaging – What Are Some Examples?
Types of effervescent packaging include but aren’t limited to aluminum foils, blister packs, strip wraps, metal tubes, plastic tubes, glass tubes, etc.
As the name suggests, they are made from Aluminium material.
They are light, flexible and are a barrier to water vapour and gases.
They are not susceptible to microbiological attacks and are nontoxic.
Moreover, they are good heat conductors, meaning you can heat seal them if your process requires so.
These require additional foil backing. Nonetheless, these thermoformed packagings are best suited for storing small diameter, relatively thick tablets which are hard.
They require a little pressure on the blister to remove the effervescent tablet from within the backing.
Strip wrapping is done by hermetically sealing effervescent tablets in containers in pouches.
The pouches will keep them dry and uncontaminated until their time of use reaches.
They are usually packed into strips and stacked inside paperboard boxes.
These are best suited for packaging effervescent tablets with low hygroscopicity order. This is because they are not as effective as metal or glass tubes.
Plastic packagings have significant moisture vapor permeability properties.
However, you can use them with special caps that contain silica gel or moisture-vapour absorbing dessicants.
Packaging in plastic tube
This keeps effervescent reactions from occurring by preventing moisture seepage via he cap.
Their caps have to be covered using waxed foil pulps.
In Which Fields Can You Use Effervescent Packaging?
The fields you can apply effervescent packaging in are very many.
However, the most common application of these packaging is in the pharmaceutical industry and nutraceutical industry.
In other industries such as cosmetics, personal care, supplement industries, etc., you can apply effervescent packaging in secondary packaging roles.
Effervescent Packaging Are Primarily Meant To Keep Out Moisture. Can They Keep Out Anything Else?
Yes, effervescent packaging keep out more than just moisture.
The packaging’s main purpose is to keep the effervescent tablets within from structurally decomposing.
However, they do more than just that. Effervescent packagings protect said tablets from breaking or shearing as well.
In essence, effervescent packaging protect the tablets from both chemical and physical degradation.
Are There Guidelines To Follow When Choosing Effervescent Packaging?
There are a few guidelines you can follow when choosing effervescent packaging.
These guidelines will help you to make the right choice depending on your requirements. Some of them include:-
Design And Size Of Effervescent Tablet To Be Stored.
You should ensure that the type of packaging you choose will be able to hold the tablets for its entire shelf life.
For example, if your tablet is light, thin, and with a large diameter, then using blister packs would be a bad choice because the tablets may break.
Material Of Construction.
Each type of packaging is made from a different material, e.g., glass, metal, plastic, etc.
These materials have different levels of permeability and are appropriate for specific classifications of effervescent tablets.
Conduct research on what humidity levels can damage your tablets and compare them against the permeability of the material you wish to purchase.
Cost Of Packaging.
This is perhaps the most important factor.
As an entity who is in business, your priority when making decisions should always be to turn in profit.
That may be difficult to achieve if you make an investment that is well out of your budget.
As such, you should only choose packaging that is within your budget range.
Which Features Should You Look For In Effervescent Packaging Machine?
Look for the following characteristics in effervescent packing machine:-
Effervescent packaging machine
- Safety: The effervescent packaging should have a dessicant installed on its cap.
This will ensure consumer safety by preventing unintended ingestion or misuse.
- Advertising: The label on the effervescent packaging should be smooth, friction-resistant, vivid and colorful.
What Is The Working Principle Behind Effervescent Packaging?
It is quite simple, they keep moisture away from effervescent tablets by forming a tight seal.
The tight seal is often accompanied by a dessicant stopper that seeps in moisture content that may be in the container and contains materials like silica gel.
The packaging has to be waterproof.
What Is The Functional Lifespan Of An Effervescent Packaging?
The lifespan of effervescent packaging depends on the type of material it is manufactured from.
Different materials degrade faster than others and are not reusable.
Technically, effervescent packaging manufactured from plastic tend to last longer compared to those made from other materials.
A crucial factor that influences the longevity of the package is how you handle it.
For example, glass may break if you handle it improperly, it will last longer if you are careful with it.
Read through your manufacturer’s manual to know how to handle different types of packagings.
The expected shelf-life of effervescent tablets is usually two to three years. Effervescent packaging should last just as long.
Are Effervescent Packaging Customizable?
Yes, they are most definitely customizable.
You can customize them to incorporate different types of labels.
For example, in mold labels which offer photorealistic and peak quality prints on a variety of surface structures.
customized effervescence packaging
You can choose from different colors and finishes.
The most important thing should be the readability and durability of the labels.
Hence, you can customize font sizes and available space dedicated to product information.
Are You Liable To Experience Limitations With Effervescent Packaging?
You may experience some drawbacks when it comes to using effervescent packaging. Such limitations are:-
Using special types of packagings like these will increase your overall production cost of effervescent tablets.
To counter this problem, you should only choose packaging that is within your budget range.
Using Effervescent Packaging Increases Production Period.
You will require auxiliary packaging equipment to complete the necessary filling processes of your effervescent tablets.
This will have profound effects on your production time.
Why Do Effervescent Tablets Need Special Packaging?
An effervescent tablet is a pharmaceutical dosage that when submerged or exposed to water creates a solution by releasing carbon dioxide.
Exposure to moisture causes these products to structurally decompose and become damaged.
To protect them from potential damage and external influences, you have to use special packaging.
Tubes with dessicants are perfect examples of such packaging.
What Are The Features Of A Dessicant Cap?
- They contain silica-gel. The gel is FDA certified and keeps moisture away from the effervescent tablets.
- The dessicant stoppers maintain the moisture content jn the effervescent packaging below 2%.
- The dessicant stoppers have a 24% – 26% saturated moisture absorption rate.
- They preserve the effervescent tablets at high quality.
What Are The Advantages Of Spiral Dessicant Stoppers?
Spiral desiccant stoppers conform to sensory and microbiological TYMC and TAMC tests. This indicates a compliance to EC/EU standards for effervescent packaging that come in contact with consumables.
- The stoppers have a special feature, i.e., spiral rings, whose primary function is to protect the tablets from breakage.
- The silica-gel desiccant contained in the stoppers keeps away moisture, humidity, and light.
- Spiral desiccant stoppers have pilfer rings. These protect against pilferage.
- They are non toxic.
This means they are not susceptible to microbiological influences.
- The spiral desiccant stoppers come in many colours. These colors increase your brand value.
- The caps are easy to use, cost friendly, and recyclable.
What Are Some Examples Of The Materials You Use To Manufacture Effervescent Packaging?
The materials used to manufacture effervescent packaging depend on the type of packaging.
These materials include plastic, metal, glass, aluminium, etc.
The dessicant stoppers are made from LDPE material. It helps block material on the cap is made from cardboard.
How Do Effervescent Packagings Differ From Regular Packagings?
Effervescent packages are manufactured specifically for storing effervescent tablets. Meaning, they have features in place to keep out moisture, humidity and light from reaching the tablets.
Regular packagings are, on the other hand, without these features.
Regular packaging protect the tablets from contaminants whereas effervescent packaging protect the tablets from structural decomposition.
Which Aspects Should Guide You When Choosing Effervescent Packaging?
Some considerations to make when choosing effervescent packaging include:-
- Design and size of effervescent tablet to be stored.
- What material the effervescent packaging is made from.
- Cost of packaging.
Are Effervescent Packaging Recyclable?
Yes, they completely are. In fact, they are designed to be used over a very long lifespan. They are also manufactured from nontoxic FDA approved materials, meaning your health will not be compromised if you reuse them.
Do Effervescent Packaging Comply With Any Safety And Quality Standards? Which Ones?
Yes, they do.
Spiral desiccant stoppers conform to sensory and microbiological TYMC and TAMC tests.
This indicates a compliance to EC/EU standards for effervescent packaging that come in contact with consumables.
Dessicant caps or stoppers have silica-gel. The gel is FDA certified and keeps moisture away from the tablets contained within.
Can You Conduct An Inspection Of The Packaging Yourself?
Yes, You can inspect the quality of the effervescent packaging by:-
- Conducting crush glass test. Conduct this test to examine how much force the packaging can withstand before it shatters.
It is especially important for glass tube effervescent packaging.
- Conduct a leakage test. Conduct this test to test the seal integrity of the effervescent packaging.
A package with high seal integrity will not let any fluid seep through and damage the tablets.
- Conduct a chemical resistance inspection.
Conduct this test to find out how the effervescent packaging reacts to different environments and chemicals.
- Conduct a strength test. Conduct this test to find out how many tablets the package can hold without shearing or tearing apart.
For any question on effervescent packaging or a complete effervescent tube filler machines, contact SaintyCo now.