Flow Wrap Machine: The Ultimate FAQ Guide
I know you’re probably looking for highly efficient flow wrapping machine.
A reason this guide explores all the fundamental aspects of flow wrap machine such as features, designs, material type, working principle, and classification criteria, amongst others.
So, keep reading to learn more.
- What Is A Flow Wrap Machine?
- What Are The Components Of A Flow Wrap Machine?
- How Does A Flow Wrap Machine Operate?
- Which Are The Principles Of Flow Wrap Machine?
- What Are The Standard Features Of A Flow Wrap Machine?
- What Are The Benefits Of Using A Flow Wrap Machine?
- What Kind Of Products Are Suitable For A Flow Wrap Machine?
- What Are The Available Types Of Flow Wrap Machine?
- Which Material Types Are Used By Flow Wrap Machine?
- What Quantities Can You Work With In Flow Wrap Machine?
- How Does Flow Wrap Machine Compare To Shrink Wrap Machine?
- What Are The Different Types Of Products Feeding In Flow Wrap Machine?
- What Are The Essential Maintenance Tips For A Good Flow Wrap Machine?
- How Are Sealing Temperatures In Flow Wrap Machine Set?
- Is It Possible To Adjust The Film Pulling Wheel In A Flow Wrap Machine?
- Which Quality Tests Are Carried Out On Flow Wrap Machine?
- How Much Do Flow Wrap Machine Cost?
- Is Flow Wrap Machine Available In Different Sizes?
- What Are The Factors To Consider Before Buying Flow Wrap Machine?
- What Types Of Fittings Does The Flow Wrap Machine Wrap?
- How Fast Is the Flow Wrap Machine in Carrying Out Its Function?
- Are There Any Limitations Of Flow Wrap Machine?
- How Can I Troubleshoot Flow Wrap Machine Problems?
- What Do The Bags Produced By Flow Wrap Machine Look Like?
What Is A Flow Wrap Machine?
Flow wrap machines are a type of equipment that ensures high-speed rapping to a wide range of products in large quantities.
The flow wrap machine tends to seal products in either envelope or pillow form of a foil or plastic film.
This makes it possible to increase the shelf life of the products and offer them protection from any form of damage.
A Flow Wrap Machine
What Are The Components Of A Flow Wrap Machine?
Components of a flow wrap machine include:
- Infeed conveyor: it possesses a chain that has pushers or lugs, and products are placed onto it either automatically or manually depending on the type of flow wrap machine. The pushers in the infeed conveyor can move products in the flow wrap machine so that they can be sealed.
- Back stand: it is made up of either a single or two spindles or reel holders. To ensure flexibility in operation, the back stand tends to be equipped with several options like:
- Converter splice detection: it detects markers on the reel and then rejects them at the belt of discharge.
- Powered film reels
- End of reel detection: it detects the point at which the film reel ends.
- Powered feed roll: it is a driven roller that is on the back stand and offers support to the movement of the film.
- Automatic film tracking
- Splicer: it makes it possible for automatic connection of two film reels. It tends to link the end of the film reel which is empty to the beginning of another reel that is new.
- Film cutting device: it enhances the efficiency of the operation of the splicer and minimizes the number of packages that are rejected.
- Self-centering film reel holders: it removes the mechanical adjustments of the operator by unifying the center of the film reel’s line to that of the machine.
- Pushers: they tend to move products in a forward direction into the former so that they can be wrapped.
- Former: it allows products to pass through it so that they can be wrapped using a layer of sealing material. The outside edges of the material which is used are then mated together at the base.
- Fin wheels: it makes it possible for the two mating edges to be se4aled together when they are passed through it. The fin strip which is sealed tends to be folded over in the package using the auxiliary fin wheels to permit entry into the jaws for end seal.
- End seal crimpers: they are made up of two rotating shafts whereby each has about 1 to 4 crimpers. Each crimper on the upper side tends to have a knife which may be serrated or straight for cutting each package.
- Rotary heat sealer: it ensures optimal sealing of the film to ensure that the package is airtight and well protected from damage.
Parts Of A Flow Wrapping Machine
How Does A Flow Wrap Machine Operate?
A flow wrap machine operates in the following ways:
- First, an in-feed conveyor tends to arrange each product in a line into a forming box.
- After that, the forming box can form a tube of the film which is continuous across the products.
- Once this is done, a cutter and rotary heat sealer separate the products and then they are sealed into destined wrappers individually.
- Finally, the products which are sealed and packed leave the flow wrap machine so that they are put in boxes in readiness for transportation.
Which Are The Principles Of Flow Wrap Machine?
Principles of flow wrap machine include:
- The wrapper in a flow wrap machine packaged products by wrapping them in a film.
- Flow wrap machine tends to have an infeed conveyor, a forming area, a fil feed assembly, a discharge area, and a cutting head all of which ensure system efficiency.
- All the elements in a flow wrap machine depend on each other for the entire system to work well and thus you should always do a background check before operations commence.
- The entire process should be continuous and at a very high speed.
Diagram Illustrating The Working Principle Of A Flow Wrap Machine
What Are The Standard Features Of A Flow Wrap Machine?
Some of the standard features of a flow wrap machine include:
- It can control the temperature of the sealing units through plc.
- Jaw guards are transparent with an interlock to ensure safety.
- The flow wrapping machine tends to be controlled by
- It has a special design bag former which makes it possible to easily adjust the size of packages.
- Has inverter controls of double frequency which regulates the length of bags and speed.
- Durable electrical panel to ensure performance for a long time.
There are Various Control Panels In A Flow Wrap Machine
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Flow Wrap Machine?
Some of the benefits of using a flow wrap machine include:
- Flow wrap machines can preserve your products and offer them protection from damage.
- It ensures that the products in the package do not move thus hindering disturbance of the contents.
- Flow wrap machine reduces the number of resources which you require to help in shipping your goods.
- This machine helps inefficient packaging of products at a high speed.
- It ensures that the shelf life of your products is improved to greater lengths.
What Kind Of Products Are Suitable For A Flow Wrap Machine?
Some of the products which are suitable for a flow wrap machine include:
- Confectionery such as lollipops and muesli bars.
- Food items like biscuit trays, pizza bases, and deep-fried food trays.
- Stationary such as magazines, books, pens, cards, and paper.
- Bakery products for example buns, pies, muffins, and rolls.
- Household products such as sponges, paper napkins, wipes, and disposable cutlery.
What Are The Available Types Of Flow Wrap Machine?
The available types of flow wrap machine include:
- Horizontal flow wrap machines: they tend to be custom-built for serving specific products or industries.
Horizontal Flow Wrap Machine
- Rotary motion flow wrap machine: it is suited for safety balance, efficient performance, ergonomics, and hygienics.
- Long dwell flow wrap machine: it has a long dwell head for efficient sealing and is powered by a single brushless motor. This flow wrap machine ensures quality and a high level of flexibility.
- Box motion flow wrap machine: it is suited for packing products that are large and heavy.
Figure 6-Box Motion Flow Wrap Machine
- Side sealing flow wrap machine: it offers a unique way of packing portions of products that are sliced.
Four Side Flow Wrap Machine
Which Material Types Are Used By Flow Wrap Machine?
Some of the material types which are used by flow wrap machines include:
- Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene Films (BOPP): some flow wrap machines tend to operate using Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene Films (BOPP). Such kinds of films give clarity and high strength thus ensuring that the products remain fresh.
- Polyethylene (PE): it is a type of plastic that is commonly used and is very efficient.
- Polyethylene terephthalate (PET): it is a type of material that is composed of thermoplastic polymer resin and is used mostly for food products.
What Quantities Can You Work With In Flow Wrap Machine?
Generally, manufacturers tend to work with about 2500 to 500,000 packs although there is room for accommodation of larger quantities.
In case you need more quantities, it is important to always reach out to the manufacturer and discuss the available options.
How Does Flow Wrap Machine Compare To Shrink Wrap Machine?
Flow wrap machine compares to shrink wrap machine in the following ways:
- In a flow wrap machine, the products tend to move in a horizontal direction along a belt and it is then sealed and wrapped at both of its ends.
Shrink wrap machine on the other hand envelopes the product in a clear film.
Then moves the products through a tunnel of heat making it possible to wrap around the products.
- The flow wrap machine mainly serves products such as leaflets, biscuits, promotional items, and chocolate bars.
Shrink wrap machine on the other hand serves products like meat, pharmaceuticals, vegetables, and bottled drinks.
- Shrink wrap machine tends to protect the products from humidity and dirt, is cost-efficient, and offers increased storage.
Flow wrap machine on the other hand ensures minimal movement of the products, reduces material waste, and can be airtight.
An Automatic Shrink Wrapping Machine
What Are The Different Types Of Products Feeding In Flow Wrap Machine?
The different types of products feeding in flow wrap machine include:
- Manual feeding: it entails feeding the flow wrap machine by manually putting the contents into it in between the pushers of an infeed chain.
It mainly depends on the product types, the maximum speed, and the ease of operation of the flow wrapping machine.
- Semi-automatic feeding: in this, the products are manually subjected to a feeding system that is automatic and then automatically transported in between the infeed chain’s pushers. It is a suitable method for businesses that are introducing their products in the market.
- Fully automatic feeding: it entails automatically feeding products in the flow wrap machine fully without any manual interference.
A Fully Automatic Feeding Flow Wrap Machine
What Are The Essential Maintenance Tips For A Good Flow Wrap Machine?
Some of the essential maintenance tips of a flow wrap machine include:
- You should always adhere to the maintenance plan as this strategy will extend the life of the flow wrap machine. Some of the elements that you should observe in the maintenance plan include:
- Regular inspection of the flow wrap machine.
- Continuous inspection and monitoring of parts that are worn out.
- Lubrication of the flow wrap machine.
- Ensuring inventory of high wear parts
- Combination of rigorous maintenance tasks with those activities that are easier and task based.
Such activities should be regularly conducted by operators of the flow wrap machine who are well trained.
- Identification of flow wrap machines which you can reach out to the manufacturer in case you require assistance.
The manufacturer should also possess the ability to troubleshoot and access the flow wrap machine remotely without the need to physically visit the site.
How Are Sealing Temperatures In Flow Wrap Machine Set?
Sealing temperatures in a flow wrap machine tend to be set differently depending on the packing speed and the thickness of the material.
For OPP/CPP film or PP film which has a thickness of about 50 micro-meters and speed of 60 bags/ min, the fin seal temperature is set at 140 degrees Celsius.
The end seal temperature in a flow wrap machine tends to be set at about 14 degrees temperature.
In case you need high-speed packing, it is important to request flow wrap machines that have an additional set of high temperatures.
Is It Possible To Adjust The Film Pulling Wheel In A Flow Wrap Machine?
Yes, it is possible to adjust the film pulling wheel in a flow wrap machine by wagging the right side and the left side.
You should note that the standard position of the film is not horizontal as it should be a little to the left side by about 10 degrees.
Therefore, the film can be adjusted by pulling it down although caution should be taken to ensure the left down angle is not too big.
Take note that if there is a burst out on the film, the fin seal may consume too much film than required.
Which Quality Tests Are Carried Out On Flow Wrap Machine?
Some of the quality tests which are carried out on flow wrap machine include:
- Factory Acceptance Test: this is carried out on the manufacturer’s premises to ascertain that the flow wrap machine is functioning perfectly.
- Site Acceptance Test: it is carried out on all flow wrapping machines by the manufacturer’s specialized technical team at the customer’s premises.
How Much Do Flow Wrap Machine Cost?
The cost of a flow wrap machine tends to vary depending on various factors such as capacity, material, size, and several others.
It is important to reach out to the manufacturer with your specifications so that they may give you a quotation.
Is Flow Wrap Machine Available In Different Sizes?
Yes, the flow wrap machine is available in different sizes depending on your needs.
It is important to reach out to the manufacturer with your specifications.
So that they may suggest the appropriate size of flow wrap machine that will meet your required need.
What Are The Factors To Consider Before Buying Flow Wrap Machine?
Some of the factors to consider before buying a flow wrap machine include:
- Purpose: you should consider the function that you would like the flow wrap machine to fulfill as this helps you evaluate the required qualities.
- Cost: ensure that the price of the flow wrap machine which you want to buy is within your budget limit and is also of high quality.
- Material: the flow wrap machine which you select should be constructed from materials that are durable and resistant to corrosion and extreme weather changes.
- Size: the size of the flow wrap machine should be sufficient for the function you would like it to serve so that it is neither too big nor too small.
Purpose And Cost Of The Machine Are Some Factors To Consider Before Buying A Flow Wrap Machine
What Types Of Fittings Does The Flow Wrap Machine Wrap?
The flow wrap machine can wrap fittings from 1/8 inches up to about 2 inches.
How Fast Is the Flow Wrap Machine in Carrying Out Its Function?
Flow wrap machine is very fast in carrying out its function as it wraps each package in about 2 seconds.
It is, therefore, able to complete the task in 75 percent or less as compared to the use of manual labor.
Are There Any Limitations Of Flow Wrap Machine?
There are very few limitations of flow wrap machine, and they may include:
- The flow wrap machine may be costly when purchasing it. However, in the long run, you will be able to enjoy the return on investments.
How Can I Troubleshoot Flow Wrap Machine Problems?
Some of how you can troubleshoot flow wrap machines include:
- Product jams in the forming area: this may be caused when the product is moving slower than the film of a short infeed pitch than the length of the product.
It can be solved by using the infeed pitch and package length.
- The product is not consistently placed in the package: it may be caused by the faster movement of the film as compared to the product when entering the former.
A possible solution would be a ton to enter a smaller package length value or a bigger value of infeed pitch.
- The film does not feed properly: this may occur if the film is not threaded well, and it can be solved by inspecting the threading of the film.
What Do The Bags Produced By Flow Wrap Machine Look Like?
The bag which is produced by a flow wrap machine tends to be rectangular. However, you can also make bags that are square using a flow wrap machine.
The bags can then be either clear or printed with a single or several colors.
Chocolate Coin Wrapping Machine
For all your flow wrap machines, contact us now.