SaintyCo Tablet Press Machines
SaintyCo tablet press machines are the main workhorse in clinical batches and large scale tablet press machines. Based on their state-of-the-art designs and technological innovations, SaintyCo tablet press feature automated system with reasonable features.
Along with these, they range from single press tablet press machines to rotary tablet press machines. With interchangeable turrets, producing annular, irregular or engraved tablets remains within the desired overall equipment efficiency (OEE).
The tablet presses are easy to operate and maintain, with processing area fully accessible though interlocked to guarantee safety. All SaintyCo’s new models of tablet compression presses are cGMP compliant with product contact parts made from 316L.
Tablet Press Machines
Tablet Press Machine: The Ultimate FAQ Guide
If you want to skyrocket your tablet compression business, then this is the guide you need.
It explores everything on tablet press machines, from the definition, working principle, classification, features, parts, troubleshooting procedures, and many more.
So, if you want to be an expert in tablet press equipment, ensure you read all the 55 FAQs.
Let’s get started:
- What is a Tablet Press Machine?
- Which Types of Materials can You Produce Using a Tablet Press Machine?
- Why are Tablets the Most Popular Dosage Forms?
- What are the Uses of a Tablet Press Machine?
- Where Can You Use a Tablet Press Machine?
- What are the Benefits of a Tablet Press Machine?
- What are the Disadvantages of a Tablet Press Machine?
- What is the Step by Step Guide on Making a Tablet?
- Which are the Main Parts of a Tablet Press Machine?
- Which Parts of a Tablet Press Machine Wears Out Faster?
- How Does a Tablet Press Machine Work?
- How Many Shapes of Tablets Can You Produce Using a Tablet Press Machine?
- What is a Single Station Tablet Press Machine?
- What are the Advantages of Using a Single Station Tablet Press Machine?
- Does a Single Station Tablet Press Machine Have Disadvantages?
- How Does a Single Station Tablet Press Work?
- What is a Multi-station Tablet Press/Rotary Tablet Press?
- Which Aspects Determine the Capacity of Rotary Tablet Press Machine?
- What are the Advantages of Using a Multi-Station Tablet Press?
- What are the Demerits of Using a Multi-Station Tablet Press?
- How Does a Rotary Tablet Compression Machine Work?
- How Does a Multi-station Tablet Press/Rotary Tablet Press Compare to Single Station Tablet Press Machine?
- What are the Main Components of a Tablet Compression Machine Tooling System?
- What are the Different Types of Tablet Tooling Designs?
- Which is the Best Material for Tablet Tooling Designs?
- What are the Main Factors that Determine the Best Material for Tablet Tooling Systems?
- What is the Classification Procedure of Tablet Press Tooling?
- What are the Technical Specifications of a Tablet Press Machine?
- Does SaintyCo Offer a Tablet Press Manufacturing Line?
- How Does a Smart Plus Tablet Press Equipment Compare to a Smart S Rotary Tablet Press Machine?
- How Does a PrimaPress Rotary Tablet Press and AdvantaPress Rotary Tablet Machine Compare?
- What is the difference between One Tab Single Punch Tablet Press and a Magna Press Tablet Punching Machine?
- What is the Difference Between a Minitab Laboratory Tablet Press and a ProTab Tablet Making Machine?
- How much Does a Tablet Press Machine Cost?
- What are the Quality Specifications of a Tablet Press Machine?
- Do You Need Validation Documents When Purchasing a Tablet Press Machine?
- How Do You Clean and maintain a Tablet Press Machine?
- How do You Troubleshoot a Tablet Press Machine?
- How does B Tooling compare to D Tooling in Tablet Press Machine?
- Does SaintyCo Help in the Installation of a Tablet Press Machine?
- What is Entailed in a Factory Assessment Test of a Tablet Press Machine?
- Which are the Key Components of the User Requirement Specifications of a Tablet Press Machine?
- How can you Test the Quality of Tablets?
- What is the Procedure of Setting Up a Multi-Tip Tooling Tablet Press?
- What are the Advantages of an Interchangeable Turrets Tablet Press?
- Can I Choose a Custom Tablet Press Tooling System?
- What Is the Advantage of Coating Tablet Press Tooling Systems?
- How Do You Control Weight in a Pharmaceutical Tablet Press?
- What are the Future Prospects of Tablet Press Machines?
- How does Tablet Specification Manual (TSM) Compare to Euro Standard (EU)?
- How does Main Compression Compare to Pre-Compression?
- Why are Main Compression and Pre-Compression Critical?
- Is the Tablet Press Machine the same as a Pill Press Machine?
- Which is the main Support Equipment for a Tablet Press Machine?
- What is the Difference between Compression and Compaction in a Tablet Press Machine?
1. What is a Tablet Press Machine?
A tablet press machine is a mechanical device that you can use to transform powder or granules into tablets.
Remember that the machine will make tablets into uniform shapes and sizes according to your production specifications.
You can also identify a tablet press machine as:
- Tablet Compression Machine
- Pill Press Machine
- Tablet Punching Machine
- Tablet Making Machine
Tablet press machines
2. Which Types of Materials can You Produce Using a Tablet Press Machine?
You can transform a wide range of powder materials into tablets using a tablet press machine.
Here are some of the materials that you can easily transform using the machine:
- Cosmetic Products
- Cleaning and Sterilizing Products
- Pharmaceutical Products
Note that the particular purpose of the machine will be the main determinant of the name of the machine.
For instance, a pharmaceutical tablet press machine.
3. Why are Tablets the Most Popular Dosage Forms?
You will probably use tablets more often due to their popularity as well as their advantages.
Some of the benefits that make tablets more popular dosage forms include:
Tablets dosage form
· Accurate Measurements
Tablets are easy to formulate and manufacture as it provides stable and precise dosage measurements of different drug substances.
This form of a formulation is very distinct from other drug formulations such as liquids are more difficult to measure accurately.
It is the reason why doctors are often more accurate and particular in providing tablet dosages in comparison to other formulations.
· Ease of Transport and Package
Tablets are compact and light thus making it easy to package and transport.
All you have to do is program the tablet packaging machine and it will automatically package the tablets accurately.
· High Stability
In comparison to other forms of dosages, tablets have high chemical and physical stability facilitating accurate and simple dosing.
· Easy to Mask Unpleasant Taste
Tablets are easy to manipulate by masking the nauseous and bitter taste thus making it easy to swallow.
· Elegance (Generally Attractive)
You can easily modify the shape and color of the tablets for aesthetic purposes to make them more attractive.
· Cheaper to Manufacture
You will also spend less in the process of manufacturing tablets thus making it more popular in comparison to other formulations.
4. What are the Uses of a Tablet Press Machine?
You can use the tablet press machine in a number of applications.
Generally, you will use a tablet press machine in the manufacturing of distributable quantities of tablets.
You can use it to create a wide range of shapes and colors of tablets from powders and granulated materials.
5. Where Can You Use a Tablet Press Machine?
You can use a tablet press machine to make different forms of tablets for different purposes.
The purpose of the tablet will also depend on the industrial application of the tablet.
You will, therefore, use a tablet press machine in the following industries:
· Food Industry
You will use a tablet making machine to make confectionaries in the food industry.
Apart from that, it is important in making food supplements in tablet form among other functions.
· Pharmaceutical Industry
You will use a tablet press machine to make medicinal tablets with different formulations of active ingredients.
· Chemical Industry
There are plenty of chemical substances that are in the form of tablets.
You will use a tablet press machine to transform different chemical granules and powders into tablets.
· Cosmetics Industry
The cosmetic industry also employs the use of tablet press machines to make tablets for use in the enhancement of beauty.
You will use the machine to make beauty tablets that come in a wide range of sizes, shapes, and colors.
· Herbal Industry
Well, since the world is transforming towards a more herbal and health-oriented products, a tablet press comes in handy.
You will use a tablet press machine to make different types of herbal products, especially in tablet form.
6. What are the Benefits of a Tablet Press Machine?
Apart from producing the most popular form of formulation, you will experience numerous benefits of using the machine.
Here are the benefits you will experience by using a tablet press machine.
Tablet press machine
· Saves Time
Since the machine is fully automatic, it is capable of producing different types of tablets within a short time.
A fully automatic tablet press machine is also capable of producing thousands of tablets within a very short period.
· Increase in Production
Due to the automatic nature of the tablet press machine, you will be able to increase the production output.
A tablet press machine is capable of producing a high number of tablets thus boosting the production.
· Increased Efficiency
As much as it produces numerous tablets, a tablet press machine also produces perfect tablets with high accuracy levels.
It follows a strict configuration pattern to efficiently produce different shapes, colors, and sizes of tablets.
· High Level of Accuracy
A tablet press machine works on the most accurate production principles adhering to the manufacturer’s product specifications.
It is capable of getting accurate measurements within the right production conditions in producing tablets.
· East to Operate and Maintain
With a complete human machine interface, you can easily and efficiently operate a tablet press machine.
You will spend very little money and time in the cleaning and maintenance of the machine due to the self-diagnostic system.
7. What are the Disadvantages of a Tablet Press Machine?
Just like any other machine, a tablet press machine has its own demerits.
Some of the disadvantages of using a tablet press machine include:
i. High Cost of Purchase and Installation
You will spend a lot of money in purchasing the machine especially if you are looking for a custom machine.
Apart from that, you will spend more in the installation as you will pay for transport and installation among other services.
ii. Difficult to Move Around
Apart from that, the machine is heavy and huge in size thus limiting the movement from one place to another.
Implying that the tablet press machine is not portable.
8. What is the Step by Step Guide on Making a Tablet?
It is important to have proper knowledge of the process of making a tablet from scratch.
Here is a step by step guide to how you can make a tablet using a tablet press machine.
Tablets manufacturing process
Step One: Dispensing Ingredients
First, you will have to weigh all the ingredients that you need to make a tablet using an appropriate weighing machine.
After that, the machine will dispense the ingredients in accordance with the dose of the tablets.
You should be very careful with the dispensation process due to the sensitive nature of the active ingredients.
In case you miss the key steps in the dispensation, you might end up making an inefficient tablet which might also be harmful.
Step Two: Sizing of Ingredients
In this case, you will size the ingredients or sort them out by the system.
At the same time, you will formulate the materials or ingredients that you will need for making the tablets.
Alternatively, you can carry out outsize reduction which will enhance a better flow property and improve the mixing.
The type of equipment that you will use for the mixing of the tablet ingredients is the high shear mixer machine.
Step Three: Powder Blending
You will mix all the powdery ingredients using an appropriate blender to obtain a homogenous and standard powder mixture.
You will use the principle of geometric dilution to mix all the drug substances and all the ingredients.
Step Four: Granulation of the Ingredients
At this point, you will gather all the particles of homogenous powder mixes and create individual layers.
As the particles gather together, they also form strong bonds this leading to the formation of permanent aggregates.
In this case, you will use a fluid bed granulator to make the permanent aggregates and granules.
Step Five: Dry Screening and Drying
It is important to get rid of the excess moisture in the wet granules for a specific amount of time.
You will use a fluid bed dryer or a tray drier to assist in the process of drying the granules.
You will set the machines to get rid of the excess moisture from the granules at 550 degrees centigrade.
After the completion of the drying process, you will screen the dry granules using a suitable mesh screens of different sizes.
Step Six: Tablet Compression
Tablet compression process
You will use the tablet press machine to exert pressure on the granules to form a bond of different shapes.
Some of the shapes which you can make using a tablet press machine are:
i. Oblong Shapes
ii. Convex Shapes
iii. Round Shapes
iv. Flat Shapes or any unique shape
Step Seven: Coating of Tablets
In this case, you will place the tablets in a tablet coater so as to make it through the last process of tablet manufacturing.
Coating of tablets assists in masking the unpleasant odor and taste of the tablet ingredients.
Apart from that, you will also coat the tablets to give them an aesthetic appeal.
Additionally, you may add coats that assist in the modification or releasing of the active ingredients of the tablets.
While inside the coater machine, you will add suitable coating powder to the tablets to give them the coat you desire.
Finally, you will pass the tablets through the inspection stage and pack the well pressed tablets.
9. Which are the Main Parts of a Tablet Press Machine?
A tablet press machine depends on various parts to assist in the manufacturing process of tablets.
Here are the main parts of a tablet compression machine that perform different functions.
Parts of tablet press machine
· Hopper or Feeding Hopper
You will pour all the ingredients that you need to make different tablets into the feeding hopper before tableting or compression.
It is often closer to the feed shoe thus allowing the movement of the ingredients or granules for compression.
You can feel the feeding hopper manually or mechanically with the help of a machine.
· Feed Peddle
This is the part that links the feeding hopper to the die tooling system.
It assists in feeding the ingredients into the die tooling system for compression.
· Cam Truck
The cam truck will guide the position as well as the movement of the lower and the upper punches.
It helps in focusing and accurately moving the punches of the tablet press machine.
In a tablet press machine, you will usually find the lower and the upper cam trucks.
· Die Cavity
It is a hollow cavity where the powder and granules go through the compression process to create tablets.
It is the main part that will determine the elements of the tablet in a tablet press machine including:
i. Diameter of the tablet
ii. Size of the tablet
iii. Thickness of the tablet
A tablet press machine has two sets of punches which cover the upper and the lower part of the machine.
The punches will assist in a proper pressing of the powder within the die cavity to form tablets of different shapes and sizes.
Tablet press tooling system
· Tablet Adjuster
The machine depends on the tablet adjuster to determine the volume of powder you intend to compress within the die cavity.
It will also regulate the weight of the tablet as it takes care of the quantity of the powder you intend to compress.
· Ejection Adjuster
After pressing the powder into a tablet, you will use the ejection adjuster to remove the tablets from the die cavity.
· Capacity Control
You will use the capacity control to adjust the punch truck on the lower side of the machine during the filling stage.
It will make sure that the right quantity of materials is within the desired range before actual compression.
· Compression Unit
You will use the compression unit to compress the powder to form different shapes and sizes of tablets.
It goes through the initial compression stage where the machine will eject excess air from the powder before compression.
After that, it will depend on the rollers to exert enough pressure on the air free powder and compact to form tablets.
· Take Off Blades
It assists in the deflection of the tablets from the compression unit to the discharge chute.
It will make it easier for the machine to move the tablets to the packaging unit.
· Ejection Cam
It will help in removing the tablets from the die cavity by pushing the lower punch of tablet press machine upwards.
· Control Panel
You will depend on the control panel to configure, program and monitor the production specification of a tablet.
It has an HMI with a complete touch screen that makes it easy to control the operations of the machine.
· Safety Features
These are the parts of the machine that will safeguard the machine from damage as well as the users of the machine.
Most safety features of tablet press machines are automatic and will spring it action swiftly in case of a problem.
· Transport Unit
This is the main unit of the machine that assists in the movement of products from one station to the next.
It consists of different parts such as the conveyor belt system that vibrates and moves different products accordingly.
· Pneumatic Unit
This is the pressure system of the tablet press machine that controls the press on different materials.
It is responsible for providing the force and the energy to the punches to create a tablet.
10. Which Parts of a Tablet Press Machine Wears Out Faster?
In a tablet press machine, the moving parts of the machine will wear out faster than all the other part.
In this case, the punches and the dies of a tablet press machine will wear out faster than the other mechanical parts.
The dies will wear out fast due to the up and down movement in an effort to compress the powder and form tablets.
The punches will also wear out fast due to the abrasive interventions and extreme pressure from frequent movement.
The scrapper blades will also wear out faster due to the constant rotation of the dies as well as product abrasion.
Tablet press punch and die
11. How Does a Tablet Press Machine Work?
Tablet compression process
A tablet press machine depends on various working principles in a bid to compress different types of tablets.
There is a variation in the working principles of tablet press machine due to the different types of tablet press machine.
In this section, we are going to have a look at how a rotary tablet press machine works.
Essentially the machine will go through three main stages which include:
Step One: Filling Stage
As soon as the machine is in proper working condition, you will fill up the product hoppers with the ingredients.
It is basically the transfer of different raw materials into different positions to enable compression of tablets.
You have to process the materials accordingly before filling them up into the material hoppers.
Step Two: Processing the Material
From the product hopper, the powder will move through various processing stages.
The powder will undergo the process of granulation, and sizing among other types of processing for different projects.
Apart from that, the machine will also blend the granules thoroughly to make the homogenous mixtures.
This mixture will flow from the product hopper and into the die cavity for proper compression.
Step Three: Compression Stage
After filling the die cavity, you will meter the quantity of granules by removing the excess granules.
It will allow the machine to compress the right volume of products into the right sizes of tablets.
The upper and the lower punches will spring into action and compress the granules into different tablet shapes and sizes.
Step Four: Ejection of Tablets
In this stage the tablet press machine will eliminate the punches from the die cavity through the lower punch.
The upper punch will retract from the die cavity by rising above the turret table to give more space.
The lower punch will then rise upwards by pushing the tablets out of the die cavity.
The activity of ejecting the tablets from the die cavity is under the influence of the ejection cam.
After that, the take off blades will remove the tablets from the die cavity system for further processing.
Stages in tablet compression
12. How Many Shapes of Tablets Can You Produce Using a Tablet Press Machine?
Using a tablet press machine, you can produce a wide variety of tablet shapes depending on the tooling system.
The shape of the tooling system will determine the final shape of the tablet.
Some of the shapes that you can produce using a tablet press machine include:
- Oblong Shapes
- Convex Shapes
- Round Shapes
- Flat Shapes among other unique shapes
13. What is a Single Station Tablet Press Machine?
Single station tablet press machine
A single station tableting machine features one tooling station with a die and pairs of upper and lower punches.
Single station tablet press or single punch or eccentric press is the simplest type of tablet press machine you can find.
You will find them in different shapes, designs, and configurations depending on your production requirements.
It depends on the compression force from the upper punch of the tablet press machine only.
14. What are the Advantages of Using a Single Station Tablet Press Machine?
When using a single station tablet press machine, you will experience the following benefits:
- The machine is simple and easy to use and will not cost you much to train or hire professionals.
- It works under high pressure which reduces the weight variants in different tablets.
- It is strong and durable owing to the fact that the materials for making a tablet press are hardy.
- It is also smaller in size thus allowing you to use it even in the smallest of spaces.
- You can use the machine without drawing too much attention since it is generally silent.
- You can use it to produce small quantities of tablets especially for research and development.
- The process of loading the machine with different types of products is also simple.
15. Does a Single Station Tablet Press Machine Have Disadvantages?
Yes, just like any other machine, a single station tablet press machine has a few demerits.
Here are some of the disadvantages of using a single station tablet press machine.
- It is slower in comparison to other types of tablet press machines in the market.
- You will also go through a lot of challenges in the cleaning process as it is difficult to clean.
16. How Does a Single Station Tablet Press Work?
A single station tablet press depends on the single punch technique to compress granules and produce tablets.
The machine works through the compaction principle where using a single set of station tooling systems.
The system comprises of one die and a single pair of lower and upper punches.
Here is a step by step guide on how a single station tablet press machine works.
Step One: Filling the Hopper
First you will fill the product hopper will all the necessary raw materials for making the tablets.
You will have to prepare all the raw materials prior to filling them up into the product hopper.
After that, you will allow the machine to move the raw materials straight into the die cavity.
Step Two: Compression of Raw Materials
At this stage, the machine will compress the raw materials as soon as it reaches the tooling system.
The machine has a special mechanism for quantifying the raw materials accordingly before the tablet press action.
After that, the machine will compress the granules accordingly by the action of the upper punch of the machine.
It takes the form of a hammering motion where it compresses the granules as the lower punch remains static.
Step Three: Ejecting the Tablets
Finally, through the action of the ejection cam, the machine will remove the tablets from the die cavity for further processing.
17. What is a Multi-station Tablet Press/Rotary Tablet Press?
This is a type of tablet press machine with numerous tooling stations in constant rotation to make different types of tablets.
You can also refer to it as a rotary tablet press due to the fact that it depends on rotation of the tooling systems.
Multi-station tablet press
18. Which Aspects Determine the Capacity of Rotary Tablet Press Machine?
You can determine the production capacity of the tablet press machine by looking at the number of tooling systems.
In this case, you will look at the combination of the upper and lower punches as well as the die cavity.
This is the reason why we have the single tooling tablet compression machine and the multi-tooling tablet press machine.
The type of tooling that you will use will depend on your unique application or production specifications.
19. What are the Advantages of Using a Multi-Station Tablet Press?
The main idea for developing this type of machine was to increase production capacity.
Here are the other advantages that you will experience by using the multi-station tablet press machine.
- It is cheaper to produce tablets using this machine as it is more automatic and require minimal labor.
- It is more convenient to operate and allows you to configure the weight and hardness of the tablets accordingly.
- It works seamlessly with multifunctional parts such as moving feeder which automatically manage powder fill components.
- It is faster in producing tablets with an output range between 90, 000 to 234, 000 tablets within an hour.
- You will also save a lot of time especially when looking at the production of a large quantity of tablets.
- It is very accurate and efficient in the production process as it reduces the wastage of products.
- It is also an automated system which reduces the work load on the workers.
Tablet press tooling
20. What are the Demerits of Using a Multi-Station Tablet Press?
Since nothing is perfect, you will also experience a few setbacks by using the multi-station tablet press.
Here are some of disadvantages of using a multi-station tablet press machine.
- The initial cost of purchasing and installing the machine is high and you will have to dig deeper into your pockets.
- Due it is huge size and excess weight, it become difficult to move it from one place to another.
- You also have to train a few people on how to operate the machine thus increasing the cost of production.
- It also poses a very high rate of environmental pollution due to the excess waste products that it releases.
21. How Does a Rotary Tablet Compression Machine Work?
Rotary tablet compression machine depends on the working principle of compression to make tablets.
Here is a step by step guide on how the rotary tablet press machine works.
Step One: Preparation Stage
First, you will prepare all the rotary tablet press machine and ensure it is in a proper working condition.
Apart from that, you will prepare all the ingredients by passing then through various machines such as:
i. Fluid Bed Granulators for granulating the homogenous mixtures
ii. Fluid Bed Dryers for drying the granules
iii. High shear mixer for mixing all the ingredients to form a homogenous mixture
At the same time, you will program the machine with the production specifications that you desire.
Step Two: Filling the Hopper
On the second step, you will fill the hopper with the raw materials in different forms including granules.
Make sure that you get all the quantities right as you fill the hopper of the rotary press machine.
After that, you will initiate the production process and allow the raw materials to flow into the tooling system.
Step Three: Compression Stage
As soon as the raw material reach the die cavity, the machine will quantify it accordingly.
This will assist in producing tablets that are more efficient with the right quantity of active ingredients.
Since the number of tooling systems are many, the machine might take a while to fill all the die cavities.
After that, the machine will initiate the compression process with the upper and lower punches as well as the rollers.
It will release the air in the ingredients and through further compression, the machine will create bonds between the granules.
It will result in the formation of tablets of different sizes and shapes.
Step Four: Ejection Stage
As soon as the tablets are ready, you will initiate the ejection process with the help of the ejection cam.
The upper punch will move upwards and give space for the tablet to leave the compression unit.
The lower punch will steadily move the tablet upwards and out of the die cavity.
The take-off blades will gently sweep the tablets from the compression unit for further processing.
22. How Does a Multi-station Tablet Press/Rotary Tablet Press Compare to Single Station Tablet Press Machine?
The main difference between the single station and multi station tablet press machine is the number of tooling systems.
The singe station tablet press machine has one compression station where it produces tablets.
On the other hand, multi-station tablet press machine has numerous stations for producing tablets.
Apart from that, the single station tablet press machine is slower in comparison to the multi-station tablet press machine.
Multi-station tablet press machine is capable of producing more tablets within an hour in comparison to single station tablet press.
What’s more, a single station tablet press machine using a hammering method to produce tablets.
The upper punch is always in constant motion as the lower punch remains still.
This is different from that of the multi-station tablet press machine which initiates the action of both upper and lower punches.
Multi station tablet press
23. What are the Main Components of a Tablet Compression Machine Tooling System?
The tooling system of tablet press machine consists of most of the parts of the tablet compression machine.
However, the components will vary depending on a number of factors such as:
- Type of material on the tooling system
- Design process of the tooling system
- Recommended standards of the tooling system
- Specialized treatments on the tooling system.
24. What are the Different Types of Tablet Tooling Designs?
There are different types of designs of tablet tooling systems that you can choose from.
Your choice will also depend on the type of machine that you choose to use.
You will choose from the different design classification tooling such as:
Tablet press tooling design
· Standard Tooling System Design
This is the simplest and also the most affordable type of tooling system that you can use on low volume productions.
It is capable of producing different shapes of tablets such as oblong, oval, and round among others.
You can use this tooling system to produce tablets with additional features such as logos, letters and dividing lines.
· Custom Tooling System Design
You will have to give your tooling specifications to the manufacturer to make custom tooling system designs.
You will minimize on the chances of purchasing counterfeit tooling systems which might affect production efficiency.
You also have the freedom of dictate the shapes and sizes that you need for your tooling system.
Apart from that, you can customize your tooling systems with different logos and marks for proper distinction.
· Multiple Tooling System Design
You will use this type of tooling system to produce different types of tablets on a large scale.
It is capable of producing more than a single tablet in every punching station.
You can be sure of very high outputs at a lower cost by using the multiple tooling system design.
25. Which is the Best Material for Tablet Tooling Designs?
It is important to use a material that can withstand the high pressure and demands of the tooling system.
Stainless steel is the best material that you can use in the process of manufacturing different tablet tooling designs.
It has very good wear and tear properties as well as formidable physical strength.
Apart from that it is resistant to corrosion thus reducing risks of contamination.
Other types of materials that you can use include high carbon steel, carbide, or high chrome steel.
26. What are the Main Factors that Determine the Best Material for Tablet Tooling Systems?
Since the tablet tooling system works under intense pressure, it is important to have very strong and durable materials.
The materials should be cGMP compliant which approves it to be suitable for the harsh environmental conditions.
The pressure within the tooling system due continuous compression prompts you to find a strong and durable material.
Due to such factors, you should consider purchasing materials that will guarantee longevity, reliability, durability and sustainability.
Your choice of material will depend on other factors including:
- Compression force of the machine on the material
- Physical and Chemical properties of the material
- Cup depth of the machine
- Turret speed of the machine
27. What is the Classification Procedure of Tablet Press Tooling?
When classifying a tablet press tooling system, there are specific procedures that you have to go through.
The tablet press tooling system comes in various types including B, D, BB, and DB.
Here is a proper explanation as to the major differences that determine the different classification procedures.
|Tooling Type||Diameter of Punch Barrel||Outer Diameter of Die|
|B||19 mm||30.16 mm|
|D||25.4 mm||38.10 mm|
|BB||19.0 mm||24.00 mm|
|DB||25.4 mm||30.16 mm|
28. What are the Technical Specifications of a Tablet Press Machine?
When you are purchasing a tablet press machine, you have to look at the technical specifications of the machine.
Here are the main technical specifications that you will have to consider:
· Model of the Tablet Compression Machine
You need to have proper knowledge on the different types of models of tablet press machines.
With the models in mind, you should consider the most popular model with numerous referrals from other manufacturers.
· Turret Specifications
The turret is one of the most significant factors that will determine the quality and efficiency of the tablet press machine.
It offers sufficient support to the entire tooling system of the tablet compression system so it must have very strong materials.
In that case, the types of materials that you should consider include tool steel, stainless steel, steel, and special grade cast iron.
The material must also be resistant to corrosion and study for a more efficient and stronger turret.
· Automation and Control System
You should consider having the most advanced and recent type of control systems in your tablet press machine.
This includes having a more advanced control panel with other automatic features such as safety equipment.
· Overall Construction
A tablet press machine has numerous construction models that you can choose from to boost your production specifications.
On that note, you also have the freedom of choosing the type of construction that you need for your tablet press machine.
Remember to adhere to the current good manufacturing practices (cGMP) when looking at the overall construction of tablet press machine.
Apart from that, you will also look at the dimensions of the machine in terms of weight, width, height as well as length.
29. Does SaintyCo Offer a Tablet Press Manufacturing Line?
SaintyCo tablet press
Yes, you can choose from the wide selection of tablet press machines from SaintyCo.
Most of the machines have state of the art technology with unique design features.
You can also choose between the single station tablet compression machine or the multi-station tablet press machine.
You will also have tablet press machines that are compliant to international quality standards.
Some of the tablet press machine models that you will get from SaintyCo include:
- Smart S Tablet Press Machine
- Smart Plus Tablet Press Machines
- PrimaPress Tablet Press Machines
- AdvantaPress Tablet Press Machines
- AdvantaPress Plus Tablet Compression Machines
- MagnaPress Tablet Press Machines
- OneTab Tablet Press Machines
- MiniTab Tablet Press Machines
- ProTab Tablet Press Machines
30. How Does a Smart Plus Tablet Press Equipment Compare to a Smart S Rotary Tablet Press Machine?
Smart plus tablet press equipment is new generation equipment offering ultra-high speed in production of tablets.
It also features automatic interchangeable turret designs allowing you to flex at your personal convenience.
It is a safe machine with top notch security systems that allow for proper and more efficient production of tablets.
On the other hand, the smart S rotary tablet press has a state-of-the-art control system with optimal feeding systems.
It is more reliable, sturdy and flexible user-friendly human machine interface that is easy to change. s
31. How Does a PrimaPress Rotary Tablet Press and AdvantaPress Rotary Tablet Machine Compare?
A PrimaPress rotary tablet press machine features an EC punch as well as die tooling system.
Apart from that, it features a redesigned tablet compression area on a separate part from the mechanical and electrical parts.
It has a faster part changeover, a modular design and fewer components in contact with one another.
It works a very high speed with a production capacity estimate at 118, 000 tablets in an hour.
On the other hand, the AdvantaPress rotary tablet machine has a system PLC and HMI control system.
It offers proper flexibility which increases the efficiency of production.
It has all the critical parts of the production area on a separate entity from the service area.
It is capable of producing about 280,000 tablets per hour ate very low operational noise.
It is also cGMP compliant with an automatic lubrication system.
32. What is the difference between One Tab Single Punch Tablet Press and a Magna Press Tablet Punching Machine?
You will use the one-tab single punch tablet press in small scale production of tablets in the pharmaceutical industry.
You can either choose between One Tab A or One Tab B with single sets of punch and die press systems.
It is capable of producing about 3600 tablets within an hour of production.
On the other hand, you can use the magna press tablet punching machine for wide range of pharmaceutical applications.
It guarantees optimum production of tablets with minimal wearing thus enhancing proper consistency and smooth operations.
It also features a more advanced and quick part changeover.
33. What is the Difference Between a Minitab Laboratory Tablet Press and a ProTab Tablet Making Machine?
You will use the Minitab laboratory tablet press in making round and irregular tablets using custom logos and letters.
You can also use it small scale production of R&D and pharmaceutical product applications.
It is fully automatic allowing accurate control of turrets, plunger depth and tablet thickness among others.
It is capable of producing about 43, 400 tablets withing an hour.
On the other hand, Pro Tab tablet press machine is a highly automatic and user-friendly tablet press machine.
It has a versatile feeding mechanism that guarantees reliability as well as production consistency.
You will also work with assurance of proper security due to the high security features of the machine.
34. How much Does a Tablet Press Machine Cost?
The cost of a tablet press machine usually varies depending on the type of machine you need.
The higher the efficiency and speed of the machine, the higher it will cost.
In an estimate, the cost of tablet press machine will range between 3,000 to 100,000 dollars or even more.
35. What are the Quality Specifications of a Tablet Press Machine?
When purchasing a tablet compression machine, you have to make sure that it complies with specific quality specifications.
The international quality specifications that the tablet press machine must adhere to include:
- Food and Drug Administration Quality Standards
- Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) Quality Standards
- International Standards Organization (ISO) certification Standards
- CE For the Electrical Specification Quality Standards.
Tablet making process
36. Do You Need Validation Documents When Purchasing a Tablet Press Machine?
Yes, you must have validation documents at every step of Tablet Press Machine testing.
Here are the main validation documents that you must have:
i. FAT for the Factory Assessment Tests
You will receive this validation certificate after the manufacturer tests and confirms that the machine is in good working condition.
All the FAT tests take place in the factory in your presence before transporting the machine to the installation destination.
ii. IQ Documentation
This is the installation qualification documentation which you will get after a successful installation procedure.
You have to perform an installation qualification test to ensure the machine works well after the installation process.
iii. OQ Documentation
This is an operational certificate that will prove that your machine is in proper working condition after installation.
37. How Do You Clean and maintain a Tablet Press Machine?
You have to regularly clean and maintain the tablet press machine to keep it in proper working conditions.
You can properly maintain a tablet press machine in proper working conditions by:
Tablet compression machine
· Regular Cleaning of the Machine
You have to regularly remove, clean, dry and replace the parts of the tablet press machine.
You should also consider using the main cleaning systems such as ultrasonic cleaning or the automated cleaning systems.
· Inspection of the Machine
Apart from cleaning, you need to conduct regular inspection of the machine for signs of wear and tear.
You will be in a position of detecting any problems on the machine earlier so that you can fix them.
· Repairs and Replacements
The maintenance process also involves repairing the broken parts of the machine.
Apart from that, you will have to replace the worn-out parts of the machine as well.
Remember to contact professionals and technicians to come and do the repairs and replacements.
· Measuring the Tooling System
You have to regularly measure the tooling system of the tablet press machine to ensure that it maintains the original dimensions.
In case of a reduction in size, you must consider replacing the tooling system before it affects efficiency.
· Coating and Polishing
You have to pass the tablet press machine through regular coating to maintain its great working condition.
Regular polishing and coating will prevent the sticking of raw materials onto the parts of the machine.
You have to regularly lubricate the moving parts of the machine to avoid wear and tear due to friction.
You must use the right type of grease and oil to lubricate the moving parts of the machine.
· Storage of the Machine
You have to store the machine under proper and more convenient conditions to avoid other problem developments.
The storage conditions must be cool and dry to avoid the development of corrosion on the metallic parts of the machine.
38. How do You Troubleshoot a Tablet Press Machine?
During the process of tablet compression, you can encounter a lot of problems.
To determine the source of the problem, you have to troubleshoot the machine.
Here are some of the problems and solutions you might experience.
This occurs when the upper and lower part of the tablets break during the ejection process.
It usually occurs when air in the tablets does not come out fully during the compression process.
The tablet might also expand subsequently during the ejection process leading to capping of the tablets.
You can sort this out by:
i. Reducing the compression speed
ii. Polishing Punches and dies
iii. Adjusting sweep blade and resetting punches for proper ejection
This occurs when the tablet breaks into horizontal pieces due to air entrapment or poor ejection of tablets.
High speed of the turrets can also lead to tablet lamination.
You can sort this problem by:
i. Using tapered die
ii. Correcting Rapid decompression
iii. Controlling the speed of the turret system.
This is the situation where a tablet breaks off at the edges during the finishing process of tablet compression.
This can be because of mechanical issues of the machine or incorrect programming of the machine parameters.
You can sort it out by replacing the whole die cavity, open- end or reverse polishing of the die cavity.
Apart from that, you will also polish the punch tips, die tips, and the concavity of punch faces.
· Cracking of Tablets
You may also experience small cracks on the tablets as a result of rapid and continuous expansion on the tablets.
Apart from that, it is also as a result of using rapid concave punches in the compression of tablets.
You can sort this out by:
i. Using flat punch faces
ii. Using tapper die and special ejection take off settings
· Sticking and Picking
This occurs when the granule formulation adheres to the tooling system of the tablet press machine.
This can be due to poor drying and lubrication of the tablet formulations.
You will reduce the turret speed and the compression pressure to sort out the problem.
You may have to re-polish the tablet press tooling system in case the problem persists.
· Double Impression
This is the process where a tablet undergoes a double imprinting process.
This can be a result of the lower punch being in a loose position leading to frequent drop at different times.
It may also be as a result of poor restrictions on the upper punch of the tablet press machine.
You will sort this out by properly restricting the upper and the lower punches to work properly.
39. How does B Tooling compare to D Tooling in Tablet Press Machine?
The B and D tooling systems follow the TSM (Tablet Specification Manual) or the EU (Euro Standard).
With reference to the international tooling system, and tablet press machines, you can classify them further as:
- B tooling is further classified as BB tooling
- You can also use the D tooling system on B tooling and refer to the combination as DB.
You will design every tooling system depending on the specific tooling requirements of different products.
Apart from that D tooling has a thicker diameter in comparison to the B tooling.
The tip diameter of the D tooling system also has a wider diameter than that of the B tooling.
40. Does SaintyCo Help in the Installation of a Tablet Press Machine?
Yes, SaintyCo helps in the installation of a tablet press machine as one of the after sales services.
You will have a technician accompany you to the installation site for proper installation of the machine.
The technician will also test the machine and leave it in proper working condition after awarding an IQ document.
41. What is Entailed in a Factory Assessment Test of a Tablet Press Machine?
At the factory, the manufacturer will conduct a factory assessment test (FAT) to ensure it fits your production specifications.
You have to be around during the inspection phase to ensure everything is in order before machine shipment.
Factory assessment tests entails the following details:
- Purpose or objective of the machine which entails all the technical specifications of the machine.
- Scope of the tablet press machine which the test is governing.
- Methods of operation by listing all the relevant steps which should be taken in case of problems with the machine.
- Steps that you will take during the documentation process of the machine in case of tests.
- Criteria that you will follow when operating the machine.
- Tests that the manufacturer perform during the process manufacturing the tablet press machine.
- Any form of changes that might occur during the process of conducting the FAT test
42. Which are the Key Components of the User Requirement Specifications of a Tablet Press Machine?
You will rite a user requirement specification document to your manufacturer detailing every aspect of your custom machine.
You have to make sure that the user requirement specifications documents consist of the following details:
- Introduction where you will highlight the definition of the machine and the background information.
- Overview which involves having specific details about the machine including intended use as well as dimensions and capacity.
You will also include the RPM, number of baffles, accuracy, speed and material quality in the overview section.
- Operational requirements of the machine where you detail all the control features of the machine.
- Utilities which will specify the type of utilities that are available for machine operations in terms of supply of power.
- Abbreviations where you will list all the acronyms that you may use in the URS with full details.
- Supporting documents such as user guides, warranty, spare parts, manuals and circuit diagrams.
- Approval which details information on the writer as well as the supervisor.
43. How can you Test the Quality of Tablets?
You can test the quality of the tablets to know if they fit the right production specifications.
Obviously, to test tablets, you will need various pharmaceutical instruments.
You can categorize the testing of the tablets under non-Pharmacopoeial or Pharmacopoeial test.
Pharmacopoeial tests which is the official tablet testing procedure is the standard procedure with specific limits of testing the tablets.
This includes performing tests on:
- Active Ingredients on the tablet
- Weight Uniformity of the tablets
- Disintegration time of the tablets
- Dissolution tests of the tablets
Non-pharmacopeial tests which are the non-official test that you will not find in the official pharmaceutical compendia.
In this case, you will evaluate the following factors of the machine:
i. Porosity of the tablets
ii. Hardness of the tablets
iii. Friability of the tablets
iv. Tensile strength of the tablets
v. Thickness of the tablets
44. What is the Procedure of Setting Up a Multi-Tip Tooling Tablet Press?
This type of tablet press machine proves to be more difficult in the setting up process.
This is because the alignment of the die bore, punch and the multi-tip tablet presser must align properly.
Here is a procedure that you can be following in the installation process of the multi-tip tooling tablet press.
Multi tip tooling system
Step One: Cleaning Process
You will use a punch guide brush to clean the guides of the Multi-Tip tooling tablet press.
After that, you will insert the punch brush through the guides to get rid of the dirt and the debris.
It will make sure that the lubrication system remains clean allowing the punches to operate smoothly.
You will insert the die seat cleaner through the pockets of the tablet press die and then rotate to remove the debris.
It will allow the flushing of the pocket and the tablet press turret.
Step Two: Installation Stage
Using a wrench, you will remove the plates on the upper punch and push it slowly into the die system of the machine.
You will align the systems and then preload the punch using a key.
You will know that it is under proper alignment if the punch tips go directly into the die bore.
Step Three: Tapping the Tablet Press Die
You will use a die insertion ring to confirm that you insert the die properly and then run it over the turret.
You can also confirm the alignment by applying some force on the upper punch while on a circular motion.
In case you hear a click sound, you will note that there is a misalignment.
After that you will insert the lock screw and then screw it until it comes into contact with the die.
Step Four: Inserting Tablet Press Tooling Die
Ensure that the lock screw fits properly and also make sure that the die does not come out.
After that, you will confirm if the upper punch has proper alignment before installing the tablet press lower punch.
You will rotate the punch carefully and ensure that it has proper alignment and then tighten the punch press retainer.
The punch retainer will secure the punch system in the right place and be sure not to tighten it too much.
Too much tightening may cause damage to the Cam, tooling and turret systems.
You should remember to fix the tablet press in case it has a lower can and ensure it is in position.
Finally, you will fix the out plate and the upper punch to complete the entire process.
45. What are the Advantages of an Interchangeable Turrets Tablet Press?
You will choose an interchangeable turret tablet press because it can perform numerous tasks.
It will allow you to interchange and switch from one turret to another automatically.
You will be able to make different types of tablets in varying shapes and sizes using the interchangeable turret tablet press.
46. Can I Choose a Custom Tablet Press Tooling System?
Yes, you can choose a custom tablet press tooling system according to your machine specifications.
In that case, you will fill in the user requirement specifications and give it to your manufacturer.
He will inspect the specifications of the custom machine with expert engineers to ensure that the machine is producible.
After that, you will get proper advice from the manufacturer on the adjustments you need to make.
After that, you will return the URS to the manufacturer for final approval before the machine production process begins.
47. What Is the Advantage of Coating Tablet Press Tooling Systems?
You can opt for a machine which you can use to compress the tablet granules into tablets and coat it at the same time.
Coating is one of the final steps in the tablet manufacturing process which have delayed release profiles.
The tooling system will apply a coat around the tablet for the following reasons:
- Mask the taste of the tablets
- Make the process of swallowing the tablets easy.
- Protect the active ingredients inside the tablets.
Apart from that, it will make the tablets more attractive and smoother thus easier to ingest.
You must also apply the amount of coating that you apply on the tablets to avoid contaminating the active ingredients.
Coated tablet press tooling
48. How Do You Control Weight in a Pharmaceutical Tablet Press?
You will control the weight of the tablets using a tablet press machine’s compression force.
The gap between the rollers in the compression unit must remain constant to control the weight.
After configuring the production specifications of the tablets, the gap will maintain the same gaps.
This will allow the machine to carefully control the weight of the tablets as the amount of ingredients remain constant.
Apart from that, the compression force must also remain constant to maintain constant weight.
49. What are the Future Prospects of Tablet Press Machines?
Since the demand for tablets will always be there, you should always try and improve the production process of tablets.
You should also be sure of the fact that advancements in technology will produce faster and more economical tablet press machines.
It is, therefore, important to go for the latest form of technology when you are purchasing a tablet press machine.
Apart from that, the future will also have tablet machines that are easy to clean and maintain.
You should also consider machines that will ensure constant adherence to quality standards which might nit change in future.
50. How does Tablet Specification Manual (TSM) Compare to Euro Standard (EU)?
The TSM as well as the EU are international standards for the classification of tooling configurations.
The configurations will provide protection to your investments by protecting the integrity of the tooling systems.
Here is how the two compare in a table.
|Technical Specifications Manual (TSM)||Euro Standard (EU)|
|Punch head configurations have angled top profiles||Have doomed profile for the punch head configurations of the machine|
|Punch inside head angle for “B” is 37 degrees||Inside head angle for the punch is 30 degrees|
|Thick overall head||Slim Overall Head|
|Shorter punch length 0,010 mm||Thicker punch head by 0.010 mm|
TSM is most applicable in the US under the governance of the American Pharmacist Association.
EU standards in applicable in European Union and does not have any governing body running it.
51. How does Main Compression Compare to Pre-Compression?
Rotary type compression machine incorporates both the main compression as the pre-compression in making tablets.
Precompression involves the first compression stage which involves very light compression under light pressure.
After that, it will undergo another form of compression which is the main compression of the tablets.
In the second case, you will apply higher compression pressure to the system to make the tablets.
52. Why are Main Compression and Pre-Compression Critical?
Pre-compression and the main compression are critical processes in tablet making due to:
- Precompression will assist in the elimination of air within the granules.
- Main compression will assist in bonding the granules together to form tablets of different shapes and sizes.
53. Is the Tablet Press Machine the same as a Pill Press Machine?
Yes, a tablet press machine is the same as a pill press machine.
You will use both machines to compress granules into pills or tablets.
54. Which is the main Support Equipment for a Tablet Press Machine?
To complete the whole process of producing a tablet, you will have to use additional support equipment.
Here is a list of the additional support equipment that will come in handy.
- Fluid bed granulation machine for making granules from powders
- High shear mixer machine for thoroughly mixing all the ingredients to form a homogenous mixture.
- Bin blender which you will use to blend different tablet formulations such as excipients, drug substances and other ingredients.
- Conical mill for making different sizes of granules before the tableting process.
- Fluid bed dryer for getting rid of excess moisture from the granules after the granulation process is complete.
- Tablet coater for applying a coat on the tablets.
- Deduster which will help in getting rid of excess dust from the surface of the tablets.
- Weight checker which you will use to confirm the weight variations of different tablets.
- Metal detector for detecting any traces of metal within the tablets.
55. What is the Difference between Compression and Compaction in a Tablet Press Machine?
You will use compression and compaction in the process of making tablets.
Compression involves reducing the amount of powder volume and removing air by applying enough pressure.
Compaction is the creation of a solid bond between the granules in a bid to create a complete tablet.
The amount of force you will apply for compaction is higher thus leading to formation of bonds and hence tablets.
In short, the knowledge of tablet press machine is importing when choosing a suitable equipment for your production needs.
And this guide has addressed virtually all your concerns about the tablet manufacturing process.
Still, in case you have questions, or need any clarifications, contact us now.